Dry eye is a common condition that occurs when your eyes cannot produce enough tears. The condition can either be mild or severe, and left untreated, can cause you poor quality of life or more severe eye issues. At Clinton Eye Associates in Clinton, CT, our optometrist can evaluate your eyes with a thorough eye exam to help you identify the causes of your dry eyes. Here are some other things to know about this condition.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Dry eye condition is frustrating because there are many possible causes of it. That's why an eye exam from our optometrist is the best way to determine what is causing dry eye and how to treat it. Here are some common causes of dry eye.
- Excess Screen Time: Prolonged time in front of a phone, tablet, or television causes you to blink less and causes irritation and dryness to your eyes. If you can't get off of your devices, remember to take a break every 20 minutes.
- Dehydration: It's important to make sure that you are drinking enough water. Incorporate lots of fruits with high water content if you're not getting enough water.
- Not Using Sunglasses: Heat and wind irritate your eyes, and you should wear a pair of polarized glasses when you outside.
- Smoking: Cigarette smoke can make your eyes burn and sting. They also prevent your body from effective tear production that can lead to dry eye.
- Falling Asleep with Contact Lenses: Remember to take them out before you go to bed.
When Should I Seek Treatment?
Dry eyes are frustrating, and there are signs that indicate you should get treatment.
- Your symptoms won't go away: Nagging and red eyes, burning, and scratchiness that doesn't stop is a sign of a more serious problem, such as inflammation.
- Other issues develop: You can develop other conditions, like fevers, aches and pains, and even hair loss.
- Your vision is deteriorating: Dry eyes can cause your vision to deteriorate. You may be unable to drive, work, or do basic tasks. It is important to get treatment so your condition does not worsen.
Schedule an Appointment for Dry Eye Treatment
You shouldn't have to suffer from chronic dry eyes with no relief. At Clinton Eye Associates in Clinton, CT, our optometrist will create a personal treatment plan for your dry eyes. We will provide eye drops or other treatment options to get your eyes and vision back to normal. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.